Thoughts?

Discuss past and current RPs and your ideas for future storylines.

Re: Thoughts?

Postby Annaliese on Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:53 pm

I think that organized crime needs to stop being glorified and glamorized. Most of the 'gangster' characters seem extremely stereotypical and washed up. The names aren't even original. Coreleone? Come on, man. And no offense, but Connor MacManus... Boondock Saints? Yeeeah. I don't think that real gangsters are quite as open about their illegal activity as the ones portrayed here are. I think that realistically, most gangsters who spoke up so boldly about their activities would be silenced rather quickly.

Paranormal roleplay could be good -- if done correctly. I had a friend who was around during the Cloverfield monster that bit Jordan Hayes' head off or something. That just sounds... well, hilarious, and not in the good way.

There was forced breeding on this game? :|
Annaliese

Postby Drew Hopkins on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:09 pm

The organized crime RPs fall into standard patterns. I don't think this is because of unoriginal names or characters, but rather that, as you say, the criminals are far too open about it. They openly admit their crimes on the radio or to police half the time, or they brag or commit those very crimes in a very public setting. I've always felt that a crime organization in TNC needs to keep its leader completely clean. There's no reason the leader of a crime organization should be bragging about crimes or even directly involved. Because as soon as the police arrest that person (and you can't blame the police for doing so if the criminals make it that obvious and easy), the organization itself falls apart.

There are a handful of players in the game who are or have been criminals and who almost no one suspects of being one. They're polite to the authorities, friendly, they don't go around talking about their crimes, etc. Some of them have good relations with many of the police or government members. Get more of these types of people involved and a crime organization could really accomplish a lot. Would everyone know how wonderful a criminal you are? No, but being a well-known criminal isn't good for business.

Drew.
Drew Hopkins
Site Admin

Postby Annaliese on Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:36 pm

Drew Hopkins wrote:There are a handful of players in the game who are or have been criminals and who almost no one suspects of being one. They're polite to the authorities, friendly, they don't go around talking about their crimes, etc. Some of them have good relations with many of the police or government members. Get more of these types of people involved and a crime organization could really accomplish a lot. Would everyone know how wonderful a criminal you are? No, but being a well-known criminal isn't good for business.

Drew.

I think that kind of RP would be awesome. I would love to see more of that around. It would be awesome to a large bank heist or something that is completely ambiguous. Having a crime that requires actual investigation would be great. It seems like a lot of the playerbase would appreciate a good mystery.
Annaliese

Postby Rosalyn on Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:34 pm

How about RP's that aren't crime based.

Not everything has to do with something getting stolen or someone being shot.

I enjoyed some of the past events the island had, like that halloewen party we had the halloween before last. It'd be nice to see people interact other then at a bar again.

I do agree about the criminals comitting the crimes... most of them are obvious and that takes some of the fun out of the rp. It's just the same thing on a different day.
Rosalyn

Postby Franky Corleone on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:16 pm

Someone attacked my name, then complained that criminal RP is too open, glamorized and glorified, while I agree. This is a game afterall.

You also mentioned something about paranormal RP in the same post.
...Yeah.

Whatever, I hope they do not have anymore paranormal. The people are strange enough.
Franky Corleone

Postby Jacob_Reed on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:41 pm

Crime
Jacob_Reed

Postby Kaashif Hayes on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:49 pm

Most of the people who're complaining about crime RP usually do nothing at all to contribute to TNC. So if you're one of those players who aren't contributing, keep it moving =)
Kaashif Hayes

Postby Franky Corleone on Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:55 pm

So very true Kaa, everyday atleast one person complains, who has never contributed in any shape or form. If you're bored, do something about it, apply for a alt. It's simple!

:idea:
Franky Corleone

Postby Cristina Forest on Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:16 am

Rosalyn wrote:How about RP's that aren't crime based.

Not everything has to do with something getting stolen or someone being shot.

I enjoyed some of the past events the island had, like that halloewen party we had the halloween before last. It'd be nice to see people interact other then at a bar again.

I do agree about the criminals comitting the crimes... most of them are obvious and that takes some of the fun out of the rp. It's just the same thing on a different day.

I like the roll play, but depending on the plot and idea it can turn out good or it can come out to be a bust. I to am not into the violent seen but I will help out if anyone needs someone to.
Cristina Forest

Postby manon on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:52 pm

In the long time I've been around (please get all jokes out now about how combined that is less than a year, whatever...) I've seen a whole slew of plots. The ones that I found most memorable were ones that involved every player equally.

For example, the Sapphira mafia plot was really cool. I remember players had visions of NPC's (can we bring back NPC's!) dying or they had gut instincts about people. Sapphira, who was the head of the mafia, was after something, I forgot, but I really enjoyed this plot because it was drawn out and everyone was a part of it. It didn't involve kidnapping. It was good ol' mafia. Oh how I miss the Italians in the game! Something along this line would be really exciting. You can weave together the supernatural with this fairly easily I think. But the fun part is that this could make people really RP. Dig in to find out who is behind it, interact with each other to get information... if you send the visions to people you could have it render them immobile, so as they see it happening they can't say anything? And maybe the people around them can see an @emit all "Drew Hopkins suddenly looks slack-jawed and glassy-eyed." ...but that's his standard get the fly honies look, oh bugger.

Another excellent one I remember is DANIEL PENN (aka the true love of Manon's life..), the werewolf. A pretty groovy supernatural plot would be awesome. Maybe something to do with voodoo since we're down in the carribbean? I know one of the islands could easily have a bayou. We could serve up gumbo, find skeleton keys, an old house, voodoo dolls of certain people on the game.. clearly if there is a Jeremy one, it was Manon. She is a voodoo priestess and that is why she is back, to wreck havoc. ...oh, did I give the plot away? Dang. But Daniel didn't die. Let's bring him back, please. Anyway. For those who don't remember DP, he was an archaeologist looking for a sweet artifact. It turned him into a crazed werewolf who went on a pretty gnarly killing spree. Silver bullets, ahoy. I also miss the vampires from, gosh, like 2002? They were sweet. We've done vampires and werewolves, yeah? What about witches. It's supernatural without being absurd. A coven in Straford? Eye of Newt in Tira? Oh, yes, I DO THINK SO.

Have we ever done aliens? WE NEED ALIENS. Preferably in a way that hillbillies/rednecks/etc use dynamite against them. Rock on. Oh say can you see, Will Smith.
manon

Postby manon on Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:19 pm

I think the reason the Wrens were so popular was because it let everyone really get involved. I mean, ok, so they didn't want to IMPREGNATE MANON OR JULISA (how rude of them), but they talked to them. Oh, yes, this is where the infamous "international incidents" began. It was character driven. IC relationships were tested, challenged, and people fought, interacted, disagreed... and the Wrens were just the crux of seeing to it that all of Straford was involved. I think that is what made it such a memorable plot. I distinctly remember Alexia, Julisa, and Manon getting into a screaming match that involved "you'll cause an international incident" and arrests being threatened. The war with Deule was pretty swell, too, if just because hello someone bring the Prince back. And his groovy commander, but I think he was killed.

Lame.

Anyway. So I don't think it's a new breed of Wrens (as forced breeding freaks me out) we want, but more or less something similar to that plot. I vote it involves the sea because pirates are just bootylicious. What about something with the tunnels? A cave in might be cool. Lets moor and strand half the players in there, the other half out. Anchor some sort of good plot for both sides. I am sure people in the tunnel will clash heads on how to get out while the people outside will clash heads on how to get in.

One plot I always wanted to propose was a dinner party. A sort of 'host a murder' party (maybe with a theme and a merchant who comes around and lets us buy costumes for it?). Anyway, it would be hosted by a NPC wealthy despost and shock, awe, while hosting this party, he turns up dead. It'd turn into a real game of clue for the players there. I always thought it would be fun. Everyone would turn on each other. Maybe guides could throw false emits out, too, like "you get the feeling Julisa isn't telling the truth" or "you sense Gwen knows more than she is letting on" or even "You clearly see Manon did it, what a prize bit.." well, you get the idea.
manon

Postby Serena Owens on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:12 am

Something to do with doctors could be nice! Maybe an epidemic. :)

Just kidding ..

Maybe?
Serena Owens

Postby Clive on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:40 pm

Paranormal is fun.
Clive

Postby Jake on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:53 pm

I think there should be mysterious hillbillies who happen to have formed a hillbilly mafia, and were turned into zombievampirewerewolves.
Jake

Postby JeffWalker on Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:19 am

I think adding a bit of paranormal, and perhaps a bit of things that might seem paranormal and turn out not to be could be interesting, and something to be solved. Perhaps a haunted warehouse, with clanking chains and spooky whailing, that turns out to be an old gas pipe that was never shut off and the wind through some broken upstairs windows, for example. Just don't call Mystery Inc. ;) and perhaps other "mysterious" occurances that either cant be explained, or truely are paranormal. There could even be a crime involving an ex-business partner or ex-lover trying to scare someone out of a house or store, or strange threatening phone calls, any number of things.
JeffWalker

PreviousNext

Return to Role-Play Discussion