Tunneling/Caves/Mines

Existing and requested feature discussion.

Tunneling/Caves/Mines

Postby Drew Hopkins on Thu May 29, 2008 10:40 am

I just thought I'd run a little (or not so little, possibly) idea by you guys. Please give me feedback, especially suggestions. This may not ever make it into the game, but I'm considering it. I may not be able to incorporate all the ideas, but I'd love to hear them:

Tunneling/Caves

The idea would be to reopen the mines over along the path to the Imperial Preserve/Salzeidler Castle but in renewed form. Instead of digging for gems (this could still be worked in in some way, if we wished), the idea would be to tunnel.

Players would enter the mines by climbing down a ladder into a single mine room. From there, using pickaxes, players could TUNNEL <direction>, such as TUNNEL EAST.

Tunneling would utilize your strength (it may even improve strength) and involve roundtime. Multiple players tunneling together could speed up the process. So you'd begin with a plain, empty room (dimly lit, of course), and as you tunneled in a new direction, a new room and exit would be created there. You could tunnel north, northeast, east, southeast, south, southwest, west, northwest, up, and down. Each new tunnel you created would take time and effort to build (and again, this is when groups tunneling together would be beneficial).

Let's say you started from Room 1. You tunnel east and create Room 2. You can either tunnel now in a new direction from Room 1, or go into Room 2 and tunnel from there. The system would notice when you tunneled in a circle, too, and link the rooms accordingly (so if you tunneled east, south, west, then north, you would wind up right back where you started).

We may also add the ability to HIDE an exit, where you spend time piling up debris in front of the exit. The only way you would be able to find the exit again is to know it is there or to SEARCH for it. TUNNELing that direction again would remove the debris (and reveal the exit).

The goal here is not to earn money (although again, we could include gems and the like) but to create a complex, player-created new area that is constantly changing. Its primary purpose would be for criminals, I expect, because once the tunnels become extremely complicated and confusing, it'd be easy to hide out there and even hide specific items and things there. If only you and your gang knew the exact directions to get to a predetermined area of the mines, you'd have some security. Sure, someone might stumble across it eventually (especially at first), but given a couple months or even years in this system, it should become so vast and confusing that it is very difficult to chance upon a hidden area.

There may be the potential for cave-ins (where you'd have to tunnel back out, but it's unlikely we'd allow them to cause any serious harm), both intentional and random.

And yes, I know this sounds very similar to terrorists hiding in caves and such. But my goal with TNC currently is to give players more freedom in developing the game themselves, and allowing them to change and alter the structure of an area appeals to me.

One final thing from me (for now, that is; you can expect I may amend this by subsequent posts later on as new things come to me): the title of a room (in the [ brackets ] at the top of the description) would change based on the number of tunnels/exits out of an area. If an area has only 1 exit (the tunnel in), it would just be labeled as 'Dead End'. If it had 2, 'Tunnel'. If it had 3 -5, I'd like something like 'A Small Clearing' but preferably something that sounds more cave-ish. Suggestions welcome. If all the exits are already dug out, it'd be something like 'A Vast Clearing'. Again, suggestions welcome.

Let me know what you think. If I've confused anyone, let me know and I'll try to clarify. Thanks.

Drew.
Drew Hopkins
Site Admin

Re: Tunneling/Caves/Mines

Postby Paige Tandem on Thu May 29, 2008 6:00 pm

I absolutely love this idea. If it happens, I anticipate spending many hours down there. Will there be tools so that I don't ruin my manicure?

-Paige
Paige Tandem

Postby Christina McKeever on Thu May 29, 2008 7:54 pm

Paige Tandem wrote:I absolutely love this idea. If it happens, I anticipate spending many hours down there. Will there be tools so that I don't ruin my manicure?

-Paige

I second this.. especially the manicure part. :D

-Christina
Christina McKeever

Postby Eyal Naarot on Thu May 29, 2008 10:10 pm

I like them all!
Eyal Naarot

Postby Kimi Galen on Thu May 29, 2008 10:55 pm

I think the idea is awesome! I have a couple suggestions for the room names, let me know if you think they'd be cool.
1 exit - dead end / blind passage / cul-de-sac
2 exits - tunnel / passage(way)
3 exits - fork
4 exits - intersection
5 exits - a cave fissure
6 exits - a large gap
7 exits - a small grotto
8 exits - an expanding cavern
9 exits - a sizable cave
10 exits - a massive spelunking cave

at least something like that
Kimi
Kimi Galen

Postby Drew Hopkins on Thu May 29, 2008 11:21 pm

Great suggestions, Kimi! Thanks. I think I'll use most of those, if not all, unless someone else suggests some I like better. But those are definitely good.

Drew.
Drew Hopkins
Site Admin

Postby Drew Hopkins on Sat May 31, 2008 9:38 pm

A testing version of this system is now in place in Kleyton Mine in the game. Just use the DIR system to find it. You can't hide exits yet, but everything else should be working.

You cannot find anything when digging. It just creates new areas. It also doesn't improve strength, but we're considering adding this feature. We'll let you know. Report any bugs via the REPORT command or the Bug & Typo category here on the boards. Thanks.

Drew.
Drew Hopkins
Site Admin

Return to Features