Attack Dog

Existing and requested feature discussion.

Attack Dog

Postby Kaashif Hayes on Sat May 31, 2008 3:01 pm

This has been suggested at least twice before. Dogs should be able to attack or count as a bodyguard just like the Crofton Agents.
Kaashif Hayes

Re: Attack Dog

Postby Troy Creston on Sat May 31, 2008 3:54 pm

Kaashif Hayes wrote:This has been suggested at least twice before. Dogs should be able to attack or count as a bodyguard just like the Crofton Agents.

A Mike Vick among us, eh? Whooo animal curelty!! Yeah!!
Troy Creston

Postby Kimi Galen on Sat May 31, 2008 6:57 pm

Even military or police dogs irl can be trained to attack or defend their handler if raised and trained properly. I think this is a good idea, but have it limited to only one dog per person and the training be extensive and take quite a while, attack/Schutzhund/police dogs are not born, but made. Dog breeds known for this discipline like German Shepherds, Doberman Pinchers and pitbulls could give more weight than a person trying to train a yorkie, chihuahua or poodle for example.
Added RP for this could be Schutzhund competitions for people to earn titles for their dogs to make it to the next level... they have to compete to get better, can't just train in the back yard so to say...
Maybe even have obedience classes for any dogs and have a trainable ability to listen to spoken commands or something

Kimi
Kimi Galen

Postby Troy Creston on Sat May 31, 2008 11:43 pm

Correction.. One Mike Vick.. One Michelle Vick.. :P
Troy Creston

Postby Kaashif Hayes on Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:00 pm

Great idea, Kimi!

But limiting one per person? Shure, but if only players are limited those silly Crofton Secret Service Agents. Otherwise, your addition to my suggestion is good :]
Kaashif Hayes

Postby Drew Hopkins on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:59 am

I've considered this feature, and Grace and I even brainstormed on how to implement it recently, but I've encountered the following problems.

I. Should the dogs attack like agents, by rolling Bonus during a standard fight which is then added to the player's attack or defense roll, or should they attack via the hunting system, like a fox or bear attacks a player?

II. If they attack through the hunting system, how do we limit the number of attacks in a given time period? Anyone who has ever been in a fight in our combat system knows that it can take a long time for each person to roll, so we need a way to prevent the dogs from being ordered to attack someone during that time period. We could make it a feature you have to roll defense for, but if we do this, it'd be best if we just did it as a bonus roll (because at least then it'd be added to an existing roll, and increasing the likelihood of the attack being successful; almost anyone can defend against an agent on its own with its maximum of 20 dice, but add that 20 on top of a player's existing 60+ and it becomes far more dangerous).

III. Do we allow the dog to be attacked back? If we do it as a hunting system attack, we'd have to allow return attacks merely because there has to be some way to prevent the attack. Agents can only attack during an existing battle, thus if you want to take out the agents, take out their controller.

Your opinions and thoughts are welcome.

Drew.
Drew Hopkins
Site Admin

Postby Kaashif Hayes on Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:19 pm

How about trying to figure out a way so that the dogs are actually in the fight like players and troops. You can set up so the dog can automatically roll towards the enemy, it'll ask the owner of the dog which player to attack and it'll make an automated emote of the owner sending the dog at so and so doing so and so.
Kaashif Hayes

Postby Franky Corleone on Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:18 pm

For programming reasons, I think if they were like agents/bodyguards, that would be fine.
Franky Corleone

Return to Features